There will come a time when you may want to permanently disconnect from your social media accounts. People are deleting their social media accounts more frequently than ever before in order to live a life that is less centered on online culture. Deleting your social media accounts may result in a better existence, whether you’re attempting to protect your future career opportunities or are simply seeking to use your phone less. Deleting your Instagram account permanently may seem like a big step, but it’s simple to do if you’re prepared to be free of your profile and gain some free time back in your life. Let’s look at how to delete your Instagram account permanently.
Instagram launched a feature in June 2022 allowing users to deactivate their accounts to meet Apple’s revised App Store policies. Previously, the only ways to delete your Instagram account were through desktop or mobile web browser logins. You may discover step-by-step instructions on how to delete your Instagram account permanently or temporarily in this post.
Save your data before deleting your Instagram Account
Before acting out of annoyance or deciding to permanently delete your Instagram account, it is a good idea to back up your Instagram data.
You can’t get anything back afterward, and you can lose important photos, interactions, and connections.
When you delete your account, Instagram will delete your whole account, including your photographs, likes, comments, and friends. So, it is better to save your Instagram data before deleting the Instagram account permanently.
How to download your Instagram data on iPhone and Android Phones?
To download your Instagram data to your iPhone or Android smartphone, follow these steps:
- In the bottom right corner, tap on your profile image.
- In the upper right corner, tap the three lines.
- Choose Your activity.
- Click Download Your Information to download your Instagram account data.
- Next, click Request Download. You can change the email address displayed to have the data delivered to a different address.
- Enter your Instagram account password.
- Select the Request Download.
It can take from around 48 hours to 14 days to receive your file. You’ll receive an email with the subject “Your Instagram Data,” and you may download your file by clicking the link in the email. Your personal information, images, comments, and other data are typically included in the file.
How to download your Instagram data on a computer?
Here’s how to request your data file if you’re using a web browser to access Instagram:
- In the upper right corner, click your profile image.
- Select the Settings option.
- Choose Privacy and Security.
- Scroll down to Data Download and press the Request Download button.
- Enter an email address to receive the download link, or use the default email address from which you logged in.
- Choose between HTML and JSON as the format for your data file. HTML is a more user-friendly language.
- Enter your Instagram password.
- Click the Request Download option.
You will receive an email with the subject “Your Instagram Data” within 48 hours. Click the link in the email to download your file.
How to delete your Instagram Account permanently?
If you’re ready to delete your Instagram account entirely, you’ll need to use a web browser on your computer or mobile device. Unfortunately, you can’t delete an Instagram account using the Android app.
Deleting Instagram Account using iPhone
The app is the simplest way for iPhone users to delete Instagram. According to Apple’s policies, Instagram’s iOS app must allow you to delete your account. Follow the steps below to do so:
- Go to your profile, tap the hamburger menu in the top right
- Tap the “setting” option
- Go to Account and scroll down to the bottom of the menu
- Click the “Delete Account” under the Branded Content option
Clicking on “Delete Account” will bring up a choice asking if you want to delete or deactivate your account. You may learn more about those other alternatives in the section of this how-to titled “Temporarily suspending your Instagram account” if you have it.
Deleting Instagram Account on the web
If you can’t delete your account using the app, you’ll need to follow these steps, which may be done on a computer or phone as long as you’re using a browser.
- You must first visit Instagram’s specific page for requesting account deletion, or by clicking the link in the help article for account deletion on Instagram. You’ll need to provide your credentials if you’re not already logged into Instagram for the web. In fact, it’s possible that you’ll need to enter your password twice while the file is being deleted, so you should probably review it right away.
- The old Instagram logo and a dropdown box asking why you wish to delete your account should appear on the final page. Depending on the option you select, you can see a variety of links to Instagram’s support centre that guarantee to solve your problems or a message that kindly recommends you to double-check the account you’re deleting.
- Whichever option you select, a popup asking you to re-enter your password will be located below the links. When you’re finished, press or click the “Delete (your account name)” button to be certain you want to do it.
Your data will not be deleted immediately, as Instagram mentions it several times on the account deactivation page; Meta will keep it for 30 days. However, your profile and posts will not be visible to other users.
How to recover your Instagram Account after deletion?
Remember that if it’s been more than 30 days after you asked Instagram to delete your account, you won’t be able to recover it. You’ll have to recreate your account (your username will be freed up when you deactivate your account, but it’s possible that someone else has taken it).
If you are within that 30-day timeframe, you can reclaim your account, including with all of your posts and DMs. Simply return to Instagram and log in with your credentials. You’ll notice a message stating that you asked for your account to be deleted, as well as the date your data will be removed. To avoid this, simply click the “Keep Account” button.
Instagram claims it may take up to three months to entirely delete your account data from its servers. Instagram’s Data Policy further states that some information may be kept on its servers beyond the 90-day period for legal reasons.
How to Deactivate Your Instagram Account?
Consider deactivating your Instagram account if you think a little break is all you need. Unfortunately, using the iPhone or Android app won’t let you deactivate your Instagram account. To disconnect from the social networking platform, you will need to use your computer or mobile browser.
Here’s how to deactivate your Instagram account using a desktop or mobile browser.
- Log into the Instagram account you want to deactivate in a web browser.
- In the top right corner, click your profile photo.
- Select “Edit Profile” under Profile section
- Click “Temporarily disable my account” after scrolling down.
- Choose a reason from the dropdown menu in the section.
- You cannot move forward unless you select a reason.
- Retype the password for your account.
- Now click on “Temporarily Disable Account“.
Your Instagram profile will be hidden and excluded from the search results. You may still access your username, images, likes, follows, and comments. Your account will automatically be reactivated the moment you log in again. Your Instagram account can only be made inactive once per week.
How to Re-activate your Instagram Account?
If you wish to access your Instagram account after it has been disabled, follow the steps given.
- Open Instagram via a web browser or the Instagram app on your phone or tablet.
- Enter your login details on the Instagram home screen.
- Your account will be recovered after you click “Login“.
If you decide to reactivate your account immediately away after deactivating it, you might have to wait up to 24 hours. Deactivation requests usually take Instagram several hours to process. You won’t be able to reactivate your account before that process is completed.
There are ways to increase your privacy on Instagram if security and privacy are your top concerns and you’re thinking about deactivating or deleting your account. To protect your IP address from scammers and other snooping eyes, we advise using a VPN like NordVPN.
Instagram might be entertaining, but it can also be dangerous for your mental health and privacy. Various people have different ideas on how to use social media properly, but it is obvious that occasionally taking a break is vital. Deactivating or permanently deleting your Instagram account is perfectly fine. When you’re ready to use social media again, Instagram and all the others will still be there.